Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Margaritaville

I had two goals when visiting Key West--the Hemingway house and the Southernmost point. And of course, cheer on my sister as she ran the Key West Half Marathon.

Since I don't have a whole lot to say, besides that we spread some of my mother's ashes outside of Margaritaville in betweens fits of giggles and laughter,  I will leave you with some photos...

I wish I had the time to upload all of the photos to share, but I will give a snippet.






 My mom loved Jimmy Buffett, and she definitely would have enjoyed this trip, so I felt a bit sad at times reminiscing while hearing some of her favorite songs, but it was lovely to be with my sister...and now a piece of my mom will always be at Margaritaville. We both agree she would have loved that and had a good laugh. And in a way, I feel like experiencing this trip allowed my mother to see it, as well.

As Melissa and her friends ran the 1/2 marathon, I wandered around the early Sunday morning of Key West...

 I loved the feeling of Key West...the bikes, old streets, and houses.


There were lots of roosters waking up the island with their crowing. I loved it!! Totally unexpected..






 Key West during the day fits my personality more compared to the night life. Once it's dark, there's tons of bars and drunk people out on Duval Street, which is all fine and dandy, but it felt unoriginal and tourist.



I felt at times like I were exploring an abandoned island on my own since it was so early on a Sunday and a bit chilly for south Florida, but this little guy kept me company on a board walk...



The best part was the Hemingway house. We were quite short on time since Melissa's friends needed to get back to Naples, so my sister and I literally walked through the house at warp speed trying to take everything in...
 I must go back for an actual tour someday..

 It felt surreal being there. I tried to imagine what it was like when new...





 If you know anything about me and anything about the Hemingway house, then you know I would just LOVE it because of the cats...

The famous 6 toed cats everywhere. Bliss.

I loved the painting above the bed!!


I want to live here...








Look closely, you'll see kitty prints in the cement...




An artist on the street. Love.
 Making our way to the Southernmost point of the US...



I made it! Too anxious to wait in line, so yeah, no idea who those people are...



Overall, I loved Key West. I was only there a short time, but even in that short time, I know that I will come back with Mirza someday. I'm really starting to admire Florida more.

In other news, in case anyone has missed it, there is a new section to my blog. "Reading Space" can be found at the top header. A little place to archive my reads. Hope you'll stop by...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all your pictures! I desperately want to go to KW, but it's just not a day trip, it's a pretty good drive from here. I would love to just wander through the streets looking at everything. I went once when I was 11 or 12, but at that age you don't appreciate that kind of stuff. Glad you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Aaah! I went to the Earnest Hemingway house in Key West when my family was in Florida 2 years ago! So many many cats! It's overwhelming hhaha :) Also did you see the penny outside in the cement near the pool? That was so interesting! i miss florida :( glad you had fun!