Tuesday, July 27, 2010

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust...

The last 4 out of 5 days were brutal. Ok, brutal is a strong, strong word. We'll say that the last 4 out of 5 days were long. I worked two 12's, one day off, and then two 12's again. That's a lot of hours in a small amount of time, for me anyway. One day off in between is never, ever enough, yet sometimes I still schedule myself this way. It helps to schedule many days off after, like now. I'm on day 2 of 4 days off. Love, Love, Love.


Lately, I've been toying with the idea of getting acupuncture. I've found a doctor in St. Pete who offers sessions at an extremely reasonable price: http://www.acustpete.com/



I won't get into too much detail about why I feel I could benefit from acupuncture, except to say that lately I've been feeling incredibly stressed and overwhelmed, to the point of tears that don't make any sense to me. I'm not sure you could call this depression, but perhaps something is missing? That's all I can say.

Have you experienced acupuncture? What was your reason for going and how did it turn out?


--

One of the days that I had to work, Mirza played a recital at his part-time teaching job as a music instructor at an academy in Tampa. He performed a solo classical guitar piece, and then was back-up to some of his students. Since I was at work, I was pretty bummed to miss Mirza get dressed up in a suit (we bought it together the day previously) and play music, but here are some photos.



How cute is that kid on the drums?!

He also won an award for "Outstanding Teacher." Isn't he great? I'm so proud.

---
Last night after helping my mother with some things, I convinced Mirza to attend his first yoga class. Honestly, I did not have to "convince" him much because he is pretty open minded.

We went to a beginner's class called, "Restorative Yoga" taught by a male instructor. To be honest, I was nervous about having a male yoga instructor. I know that sounds ridiculous and maybe sexist, but I just did. I was less nervous to have Mirza with me, though.

The class and instructor were great! I don't know what the hell I was so worked up about. I suppose I am just used to only having female instructors since a lot of classes are at my gym, and it's a women's only facility. Like I said, the class was for beginner's, and I thought the teacher did a wonderful job of not scaring people away by naming every asana or "om"-ing and chanting before class. I know some people love that aspect of yoga, but I fear that it could turn some beginner's away from the practice early-on because then it feels like you're in some sort of new-age cult!

I've been doing yoga now for about 3 and a half years, so this class was nice and easy for me. Mirza loved it! He thought it was a "nice stretch." He even said, "I definitely want to do this at least twice a week." *jaw drop*. Actually, I am not surprised. I even said to him prior to attending, "I think that you're really going to like yoga." He is naturally a calm and introspective person, so I knew he would especially love savasana at the end. And he even loved the sound of "om" playing quietly in the background. He mentioned that he wanted to start chanting it, too! I think that's the music teacher in him, though:)

Max loves yoga, too...



I'd like to share some photos of pizza that Mirza made sometime last week...
He even bought a pizza stone. The dough is amazing and made from scratch...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------













"Observe the wonders as they occur around you. Don't claim them. Feel the artistry moving through, and be silent."

5 comments:

Maggs said...

I love acupuncture. It's hard to explain the benefits, but it's a technique that is valid. it's been around in china and other countries for much longer than modern medicine, if it didn't work, it wouldn't have that history.

Megan said...

It's good to see your Max too! I have never had accupuncture, but anyone I know who has done it loves it.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm interested to hear how acupuncture goes for you. I've always been a bit skeptical of it, to be honest.

It's so cool that we live so close! Do you know where Lakeland is?

Adventures in Veg said...

Hey there, I saw your comment on Oh She Glows and just wanted to pop over and say I hope that things get less stressful for you and that the acupuncture is beneficial!
I know it's hard when you feel stressed out to see any positivity in things but it's great that you're focused on getting into a positive mindframe. You can do it!
Positive vibes going your way from Ireland! :)
Take care
Aoife xx

Robert said...

Probably not the best pro-acupuncture example for someone trying to decide whether or not to have it, so I'll preface it by saying I've had it done many times for a variety of things, and I've seen improvement every single time.

What validated it for me though, was a classmate of mine in chiropractic school that was having trouble with her cycle. She hadn't had a period in 3 months despite not being on any birth control or other medications. When another chiro classmate placed a needle in the appropriate zone in her ear coordinating to the uterus, it started to bleed. A lot. Without stopping or clotting for about 15 minutes. The needles used for acupuncture are tiny tiny tiny, and rarely cause any kind of bleeding, much less frank acute bleeding. It was too much of a coincidence to me--congested uterus, hyperemic acupuncture zone. She started menses later that evening...