Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Tri training
Earlier this week, I had  a private swim lesson with a very knowledgeable swim coach who also helps triathletes to meet their swimming goals. I found the lesson to be extremely helpful and generous, too. I only paid for one hour, but he extended it by a half an hour because he wanted to make sure I felt comfortable.
We worked through a lot of drills to help me develop right form. The technique I find the most difficult is breathing! However, he said I should be proud of myself because I did well and I have "good hand-eye coordination." I haven't had a chance to practice since that lesson, but will be hitting the pools soon, especially when I return from DC. I even bought some fancy-schmancy goggles!

I'm also looking forward to his open water swims once I feel more comfortable with my strokes...
But I must say, I'm concerned that the Gulf of Mexico will only live on in my memory after this oil spill:(


On the running front, today I completed  week TWO of the Couch to 5k program! I've also taken all of my runs outside and find it much more difficult, but almost refuse to use the treadmill at this point since I feel it does not simulate real life like I would need for the 5k at the end of my tri's! Even though the heat is terrible, I'm learning to deal with it, and I enjoyed Caitlin's post this morning about Running in Hot Weather.
---

Today I spent a few hours at my Mom's, and then came home and hung out with Mirza.
Here are some random photos from the past couple of days:

Meet Thumper. My older brother found this obviously once domesticated rabbit hopping down the street one day about 2 1/2 years ago. Today he lives at my Mom's, just like the cats! They actually all play together and it is incredibly cute:)


I love my Vitamix. Here I am practicing for my informercial...any takers?? I could totally sell this product because I believe in it:)



Don't hate on the apron, people! I'm quite messy in the kitchen!


Happy Mother's Day. Here I am with my fur-child, Max. That's the face he makes when we ask, "Max, are you huuuungry?"


My Mother in her early 20's, I believe. We have similar profiles:)

Also:


--------------------------------------------------

In other exciting news, on Tuesday, Mirza and I will be taking a drive up to Ocala to visit Kindred Spirits Sanctuary. From their site, "Kindred Spirits is a non-profit farm animal sanctuary that helps neglected, abused, unwanted, or displaced farm animals."




(Photo from their site)
I love farm animals. A few weeks ago, we went to the local SPCA and they actually keep a few farm animals, not for adoption, but those they have rescued. They take care of a cow, horses, goats, chickens,peacock, donkey etc. 
I don't remember if I blogged about this already, but we hung out with the cow for a bit while she roamed the yard, eating grass, and swatting flies with her tail. She was dark brown. Seriously, I kept looking into her big brown eyes and literally saying out loud, "I'm so sorry, I'll never eat you again, Mr. Cow!!!" (even though she was female, haha). I just felt incredibly sad. She just wants to live and be free, like every other animal! And the chickens, so cute. Mirza literally had to pull me away. Honestly, I think I would have sat there all day just watching her. I felt at peace watching the animals do their thing, so to speak. 
I would LOVE to live on a farm or work at a sanctuary. I think I would totally be the kind of person that would not care about getting up early and helping to clean up cow doodoo and doing daily farm chores. I honestly think in a past life that I lived on a farm. Obviously, I would not live on a farm that killed animals, but you get my drift.


In honor of my trip to Kindred Spirits Sanctuary, I've been reading a lot about animal rights, etc. I'm almost finished with Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, and picked up a few random books from the library the other day...
I will definitely bring my camera to the farm and blog about it upon my return! I am sure I'll have a lot to say and post:)

1 comments:

Diana said...

Wow! You and your mom look identical! If I didn't know it was her I would have thought it was you!

Diana

frontyardfoodie.com