Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tree



There's a river flowing near me
And I've watched that river change and grow
For eight hundred years I have lived here
Through the wind, the fire and the snow

I see salmon return every summer
And I watch young owls learn to fly
I have felt the claws of the grizzley
And I have heard the lone wolf's cry

I have seen great glaciers melting
And I've met lightning eye to eye
But now I hear bulldozers coming
And I know that I am soon to die

Who will house the owl
And who will hold that river shore
And who will take refuge in my shadow
When my shadow falls no more

But now, I hear children running
And circling my trunk, hands soft and strong
People are holding to my branches
So the wind may always carry my song

2 comments:

Joanna Ashleigh said...

I love that poem

Sarabeth aka Sarita said...

awesome...have a great weekend :)

xo
sarabeth