Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wildlife and hodge podge

I woke up this morning with a craving for leftover Indian food. It had been sitting in the fridge for a few days, but I just warmed it up and it was actually a delicious breakfast.
Normally I crave sweet food in the morning, but today I wanted savory.
Before I even woke up, I debated with myself whether or not I would do my run in the am or pm. If I postponed it until tonight, would I even go? I might lose motivation!
Around 9, I decided to just suck it up and get my ass out to the trail to begin Week 5, Day 1 of the Couch to 5K! This is the week I've been...dreading? I think dread is too strong of a word. Let's just say intimidated.

But first, on the way to the trail, driving down the incredibly busy road that I live on, I saw a red-eared slider turtle in the middle of the road, literally inches from tires as they zoomed by. He was about a foot long, just trying to make his way to the other side...which happened to be a median! yikes! I drove past in the lane next to him and immediately did a U-turn and parked back into my apartment. I ran down the street and into the road when it was safe from speeding maniac cars and grabbed the turtle. He shut himself quick into his shell and gave a little hiss.
I wasn't scared because as some of you may not know, I had a slight obsession with turtles growing up. My first red-earred was named Asik. He lived about 2-3 years.  I was 10 and didn't know much about proper care, but Asik went everywhere with me. He would sit in my pocket as I road my bike and swim in the pool with us!!
Over the years I had numerous box turtles and more red ears and yellow belly turtles.
When I was in my early 20's, I also had some turtles. They grew pretty big and I eventually had to give them away when I moved away for nursing school. Luckily, I found a nice guy who owned a fish store who took them in for me:
Let's just say I have rescued numerous turtles from the streets of Florida.

After that fiasco, I almost gave up on my run, but convinced myself, "I never regret doing it, but will regret if I don't."

The plan was to run 5 minutes, walk for 3, run 5 minutes, walk for 3, and then run for 5.
I honestly felt strong. Even though it was sweltering hot and my entire outfit was drenched in sweat, there was not one time during the way that I thought, "omfg, please let this last minute hurry up." I mostly just enjoyed myself and thought about how far I've come since that first run.
The other cool part of my run was the dolphin! During the first 5 minute run over the bridge, I saw him come out of the water and then it helped to distract me during the run. Dolphins are powerful and I convinced myself I was a dolphin!

I am actually growing pretty fond of running because I am seeing results. Honestly, I did not think it would ever get easier or I would progress, but I am. Slowly, but surely, I am gaining stamina. And I am not completely out of breath after running 5 minutes.
However, I still get envious on my way to a run when I get to the trail and see someone unpacking their road bike. I love cycling first.
On Monday, my lovely Mirza turned 25 and we celebrated with cake at his house. His mother is a wonderful baker (and RN, like me!). His sister helped to decorate.

My plate, muahaha.

Mirza's beautiful Mom, Alma


After running some errands this afternoon, Mirza and did some quick weight lifting at my apartment gym, and then hopped into the pool. I taught him the proper way to breathe for free style swimming. I find it easier to learn something if I teach it to someone else...

I'm in the mood for yoga now, but will probably just rest. Can you believe I honestly I haven't done much yoga since my 31-Day Yoga Challenge back in October?! How shameful. I need to reunite with yoga!!

In the AM, I have to do a renewal BLS class.
I have my ACLS, so I find it incredibly stupid and pointless to make it a requirement to keep getting the BLS. Anyone with me on this?!
I'm going to spend the rest of the night hopefully making a weekly meal plan and grocery list. I estimated that for the month of April, I spent approximately $480 on food. That is incredibly ridiculous and I need to get a hold of my budget. My plan is $60 a week. 

Do you keep follow a weekly meal plan? How much do you normally spend?
In the past, I was quite diligent in my meal plans and lists, but I kind of gave up and it has definitely cost me for sure.
Would anyone like for me to continue the rest of my series from my visit to Kindred Spirits Sanctuary? I still have horses, donkeys, and goats! However, I did not get much feedback from these posts...


Diana said...

haha I used to rescue turtles all the time when I lived in the country.

I do make a meal plan as often as possible because it's so relaxing to not have to think of what to make every night!

Kelly said...

Those desserts look so good!!

I usually plan out meals for the week. I take note of all the food that we have in the house, and what I can make from it..then plan the rest of the meals from there. I usually only buy things that I need to make those meals + lunches and breakfast :)