Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sawgrass Lake Park

What do you guys think of the new blog header? The wonderful Mirza whipped it up for me! We're both HTML and photoshop illiterate, but I think he did a wonderful job.
Also, Blogger now has add-ons that allow you to make "pages," like Wordpress has! FINALLY. I will be working on that tomorrow, so be on the look out as my page is under construction...

As for today, I completed Week 6, Day 1 of the Couch to 5k! I actually found the stopping and starting to be more difficult than just the straight 20 minute run!

I made a stop at the dentist for a little cleaning, and then Mirza and I decided to take a nice stroll through part of Sawgrass Lake Park. I went once when I was little, but I don't really remember anything, except giant spiders.

I am so glad we went! I absolutely love to be out in nature, even if it is hot.

Sawgrass Lake is a 400 acre nature preserve with a diversity of habitats.
It is home to hundreds of plants, a variety of birds, and lots of alligators, turtles, etc.
They also have an educational center that elementary students can visit to learn about our local environment.

Best part? It is free! You just drive in and walk through. Could even have a nice picnic.
There are lots of displays with educational information, too.



We had two paths to choose from: The outlook tower or Maple trail...
We decided to go left to the towers and save the other trail for another time.




Cheesin!


It was gorgeous!


We saw a lot of cool wildlife, but I took almost 100 photos!
Check back tomorrow for some of the beautiful animals we encountered...
Do I look like a 12 year old in this photo?! I promise I'm 25! haha

Tonight was very special because Mirza made an entire vegan meal for us! I originally had planned to make a Sundried Tomato and Lentil burger from one of my cookbooks, but the kitchen was a mess, I was lazy/tired, and had a hissy fit saying I wasn't cooking anything! Mirza took over and said he would make it!!
I sat back while he performed...with a huge smile on my face!

I was not allowed into the kitchen. 



It must be in his genes because Mirza is a total natural in the kitchen. Honestly, he never cooks, but if given the chance, I think he could be a chef. He just isn't limited in anything he does and he uses all of his senses. He never reads the name on the spice/herb, he smells it instead to decided if he should use it.
Jealous! 

My own personal Vegan chef!?

The burgers were amazing! Doesn't it look like a real burger? Of course, it's not:)
I also love that Mirza embraces and accepts my decision without a question to go vegetarian; and he even participates!

He made hashbrowns in the oven! Would have never thought...


He even cleaned the kitchen.

We ended the night with a homemade dark chocolate cake. Trust me, there is nothing healthy about this cake. One full stick of butter was involved... 



Confession time...
Guess who I saw in concert last night for the FIFTH TIME?

Yes.


Ok. Stop laughing now.
From the age of 12-16, my entire world revolved around them. I would call it a guilty pleasure, but I have no shame, people!

Question: I love nature and going to parks for FREE...what are some of your favorite FREE things to do around your town?

Also, check out this little girl's website. She wants to save the animals!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Backstreets Back ALRIGHT!

I used to love them too. I will never laugh at you for loving them with me.

Joanna Ashleigh said...

I love the backstreet boys too ;)

Favorite free things to do in Denver... I love the free days at the museums, going to and performing at local festivals (like People's Fair this weekend!) and ditto the parks, lakes and mountain hiking trails we have... just got to watch out for the rattle snakes.

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh said...

I was just thinking about buying that cookbook!! Is it a good one? I was just drawn in by the cover lol (I'm typically like that)

Let me know what you think about it! (: