Sunday, June 27, 2010

Happy.

I've been a bit missing in action due to family issues, but everything seems okay now. As okay as it is going to get, anyway.

Besides that, I got called off today and yesterday! I'm not complaining because I've had some things to take care of, so it is a welcome break, even if my PTO is probably at zero now.

Honestly, since my last post, I've felt so happy! I'm the kind of person who loves to have a plan and a goal to work towards. And now that I have decided on a graduate program and  a time-frame, I feel great.

Starting on July 1st, I will begin studying for my CCRN, as well as the GRE. Currently, I am planning on taking the GRE probably in October, and the CCRN in December.

Sometimes I feel like I care too much about what someone might think or say when I tell them my plans. But recently, I talked to the nurse practitioner on my unit, and she told me I should definitely go for it and that I have PLENTY of experience. Once the program begins (Fall 2011), I would have 3 years of RN experience, 2 of which in the ICU, and then of course, I would still be working while in school, giving me even more experience. Plus, they are teaching you what you need to know!


You can't sit around worrying about what other people might say or think! You need to just go out there and live your life, and do what you think is best.
Once I have a goal in my mind, there is generally nothing that can stop me. Nothing. I get out there, and I do it.
And I succeed.
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."

Right now, I'm waiting on my study guides to come in the mail that I ordered from Amazon.com, and tomorrow and Tuesday my hospital has Laura Gasparis Vonfrolio giving a 2 day CCRN review class. To me, this is the perfect way to kick off my CCRN studying!

---

As far as Tri training goes, I ran yesterday on the treadmill! It was just so hot by the time I woke up. I am on week 8 of the couch to 5k. It was difficult. Actually, I think that running outside is almost easier.  Just running and not getting anywhere, and focusing on the time glaring in my face was too distracting.
Today I am taking the day off because behind my left knee is killing me. It's the weirdest thing, I got a terrible muscle cramp in my leg the other night while watching TV. I tried to walk it off for about 10 minutes, but it wouldn't go away! I ended up taking a hot bath and it felt better, but now, the back of my knee is killing me! It's almost like I strained my muscle from it being contracted for so long. Argh, injuries. Tomorrow is a new day, I suppose.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I know that one of the reasons why I'm unhappy right now is because I don't really have a plan...don't know what type of nursing I want to do, if I even want to do nursing, if I really want to be an NP (which was my original goal), what I would do if I jumped ship on nursing, WHERE I even want to do any of this...etc etc. So I definitely know how you can feel happier simply by having a plan and direction, even if that may change in the future. I think you'll definitely have plenty of experience to be more confident as an NP, especially once school is over!

Journey_On said...

Many of the candidates for the CNEP program (the one I'm applying to) have more years of experience than I do, and I worry a little about that. But I do meet the requirements (or will, once classes start). And you are right when you said they will teach you what you need to know.

I am going to try not to worry about what others think. We know ourselves best, anyway! :)

Robert said...

Keep pushing. We're starting Week 3. Again. We're slow like that.

I've only run on the treadmill so far because of the heat here. It's encouraging to hear that running outside might be better!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, good luck on those tests! You can rock em' ;)

Unknown said...

CCRN is a tough one, but extremely doable.
GRE is also no walk in the park.
You're going to be a busy girl!

My advice - get a hold of Laura Gasparis Vonfroliao's DVD set for the CCRN studying- it was a life saver for me.

Best of luck!