Wednesday, September 6, 2006

My first day of clinicals!!

Okay, now that I actually have a decent moment--MY DAY!!

Seriously, it was so much better than I had anticipated. I thought I was going to feel so stupid and dumb, but my preceptor rocks. Today I did a lot of shadowing, but I also helped too. Basically, she had 4 patients, all who had just come back from surgery. She showed me how to chart everything (so much), how to organize time, etc. I learned a lot today. I got to do a glucose check! woo lol. I didn't really do any vitals on my own because I was watching my preceptor do it. OO and I got to watch an NG tube come out. And the thing that holds the drainage is pretty gross--it was filled almost to the top with like dark black, green, and white stuff *shudder* Glad I didn't smell it!!
Overall, I had a great great great day!!

wooo. Now I am going to shower, clean, and then study for my patho quiz, which is tomorrow and then SLEEP.
Somewhere in that time I am eating apple pie though.

One more thing--today was very reassuring for me that nursing is what I want to do. All day I kept thinking, okay, I could totally do this and like it. Maybe not work on this type of floor exactly, but some form of this--definitely. It feels good. Now I have more motivation.
Also, at the end of each clinical, we have to give our preceptor a little form to fill out about us with ratings and comments on things we did good and things we need to improve on. She didn't comment on things needed to be improved since it was my first day, but she did write something along the lines of, "Nicole was very motivated the first day on the floor. She was a pleasure to work with."
yayy

2 comments:

KHP said...

Yay! Congrats on a great clinical day!

Christine said...

bwahahaha, this is great stuff. I should try looking back in my livejournal and see if I posted any gems!