Wednesday, September 30, 2009

1 more day!

I just got finished 12.5 hours in the ICU, so I apologize if this post is short (I work tomorrow too), but I wanted to update it before tomorrow since it will be OCTOBER 1ST--Day 1 of the 31-Day Yoga Challenge!!

October is going to rock.

I'll be kicking off the challenge immediately after work at Living Room Yoga in St. Petersburg, Fl. There is a "Yoga for Stress" class at 7:30, so I think I can make it! I'm not sure how this class will be, but it's the only thing being offered in this area and I wanted to start the challenge off in a formal setting (as opposed to home). And since my work is pretty stressful, I found it fitting:)

GOALS

For the challenge/adventure/journey, I plan to stay completely open-minded and broaden my ideas of yoga. I am going to accomplish this through visiting other yoga studios and subsequently practicing with different teachers and styles. I feel this will also help me decide if there is one area of Yoga I enjoy most, which will be helpful for when I start a yoga teacher training program...

(see how I totally said "when," and not "if"...hmmmm?)

I've already picked out about 5 different yoga places in my area (Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area), so I'm enthusiastic. I definitely also want to try Bikram!

Physically, I'll be interested in seeing what sorts of changes my body goes through. I definitely need to increase flexibility in my spine/hamstrings. For instance, I don't get very far when I forward fold, especially in a seating position. It is so uncomfortable for me. I know they say bend/hinge at the hip, but it just doesn't happen for me!! So this is an area I'll be keeping an eye on. I feel pretty good when it comes to strength and balance, but there is always room for improvement!

Emotionally, I'm hope to see a change in my mood and the way I react to people and situations. A more level-headed, mature, and calm feeling is what I'm after...

And I definitely plan on bringing Mirza along to one (or more, maybe???) yoga classes. He has never gone, but I honestly think he would totally enjoy it since he is a calm person in general. But we all get stressed with daily life and I know if he could get into it, he would benefit. He said he would go to a class, but I sense hesitation:):) He's open-minded and loves me, so I know he won't resist too much *muahahah*

Well, I'm off for the night. I want to get caught up on some television and reading. I see that my Clean Food by Terry Walter's book has arrived from Amazon, so I want to take a look at that.


And I also purchased a book for the 31-Day Yoga Challenge kick-off:

The Inner Tradition of Yoga: A Guide to Yoga Philosophy for the Contemporary Practitioner
by Michael Stone. I'm honestly not familiar with the author, but found it while browsing yesterday at Borders and thought it'd be a good way to start.



Check back tomorrow night for the first update!

For those who may be participating in the 31-Day Yoga Challenge, please leave a comment with your goals and how you plan to accomplish them. I feel that once you put your goals out there for others to see, it may hold you more accountable!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard Michael Stone give a short lecture and guided meditation. He was amazing! I have yet to read his book but I have heard it is great. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Ang said...

I'm excited to do some yoga tonight! :)

Raspberry Stethoscope said...

Zenfreckle, that's good to know and I will definitely be updating with a review when I'm complete.

Ang--Thanks for commenting! I am excited too:)