Friday, February 12, 2010

cycling is hard

Really. It is hard. But, I love the challenge and I love my bike. I just wish I didn't have to work, so I had time to ride it more, haha!

I caved in and bought the padded bike shorts, sigh. Hideous and embarrassing, but without them? ouch ouch ouch.
It also kind of sucks about the weather. It had been getting warmer, but this whole week, the high is only like 50, which is cold for us. My legs were freeeeeeeezing on my ride last night and my nose started to run. When I got back to my car, I swear my nose was chapped. Terrible.


Also, I feel like my cardiovascular system is just pathetic. I have to stop here and there to rest. And I have not mastered the art of grabbing my water bottle while in motion. I need to stop or I will totally fall, and I don't even have clip on pedals. I know with practice that I will get better. It didn't help that something on my bike is making a squeaking nose, sounds like rubber against rubber only when I move. It was driving me insane. I'm going to take it to the bike shop and let them figure it out. I am sure it is something simple.

Lately, I've been looking at youtube videos of triathlons. I always thought it would be so amazing to complete one, even a sprint. However, I hate/suck at running and have no real experience with swimming. I still want to do one though. In fact, my hospital has one in June. Based on my fitness level, I think that June is too soon, but I will definitely go as a spectator. There is also a Tri downtown in April...St. Anthony's. I put them on my calendar (to go watch!).
----

As far as work/nursing goes: bla. The last week pretty much sucked. On one day, I actually transferred two (all) of my patients and subsequently received two more. The second day, I had one of the sickest patients in the unit. She had literally 10 drips. It isn't that I'm not confident, but I also do not want to ask too many questions. The other nurses assure me that I can always, always ask for help, but part of me is worried. What if I ask for too much help and then my manager thinks it was a bad idea to send me to days? I mentioned this to one of the charge nurses and she said absolutely not. Winter sucks at the hospital. On one day, I made it the whole 12 hours without seeming too overwhelmed, but then I just let myself cry when I got on the shuttle bus. I hadn't eaten lunch and I felt like a failure nurse. However, I know I just have high standards for myself and am probably just being too critical. I hope?
----
I just ordered some Glo Bars!! I'm super excited. I've been following Angela since the beginning, so I've been anxious to order some.

1 comments:

DownDoggin in MN said...

Oh dear, life is all about asking questions, keep asking! Where would we be if we didn't ask questions? We ask questions to learn, grow and understand the world around us. It's when we stop asking questions that we stop growing. I've been reading your blog for a while now and always look forward to a new post. You are not a failure, you are a superstar! Hold you head high and go get 'em!